Saturday, March 07, 2009

The Way that things are.

Its election time at UofT and everywhere you look, people are campaigning and asking you to give them a chance. I have been at UofT for a while but this year feels very different. The whole campus is much more political now and this year, more than ever before, students are getting involved. I am looking forward to the elections and waiting for a better leadership to come to power. I am all for Jason Marin's ticket for CHANGE and I hope that he wins along with the rest of his ticket. My first reason for preferring their ticket was because he is the NCSC president as he is pretty darn good at it so I definitely want my college to represent on the UTSU. But then he came up to D and I and explained their position and I get it and I am all for it. I am going to vote for the first ever time at the UTSU elections and I am super excited.

The world is very political nowadays, much more so than I have seen it to be before. I am happy to see it and I am sad every time I come home from school and hear about what happened in Pakistan. I love my country with every fiber of my being. Both countries, Pakistan and Canada and I am proud to love them both. I don't openly talk about politics to strangers or to people outside my home because I have grown up seeing the aggression, the spirit it brings out in most of us and its a little scary to unleash that beast at times. But I did talk politics on tuesday to R and D and I am glad as hell that I did. I got to vent about how some people are hell bent on destroying one of the best places in the world and how the politicians are sitting on their asses. I wish someone like Michael Ignatieff could be the next Pakistani leader. I really wish it was possible. I know that I am not doing anything to help my country but explaining to those two girls as to why my country is not a lost cause and just in need of some old fashioned change felt good, felt right. I think that Zardari, if he intends to not have more of the pakistani people resent him, should listen to Ignatieff and replace Canada with Pakistan.

“We will occupy, we will monopolize the centre ground of Canadian politics. We will push them off to the left, we will push them off to the right and we will hold the dynamic centre ground of Canadian politics.” - Michael Ignatieff

No comments: